Kids love building and exploring the world. Making art is a great way for children to express themselves, experiment with materials and build confidence! You do not need fancy (or messy) supplies to make art. Here are a few ways to encourage your young artist at home.
Mrs. Barlett’s How-To Videos
At Home Art and Creativity Ideas
Sketchbooks and Drawing Prompts
Art Apps for Kids
Educational TV & Movies
Art Book Read Alouds
The Dot by Peter Reynolds
When Pigcasso Met Mootisse by Nina Laden
My Name is Georgia by Jeanette Winter
Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh
Round is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes by Roseanne Thong
Lines That Wiggle by Candace Whitman
Maybe Something Beautiful: How Art Transformed a Neighborhood by F. Isabel Campoy and Theresa Howell
More Creative Ideas:
- Plan a party. Make decorations and celebrate!
- Create a game. What are the rules? How do you play?
- Go on a treasure hunt. Draw a map and have fun!
- Build a fort!
- Make an instrument and write a song to play on it. Have a concert!
- Build with LEGOs or blocks.
- Go for a walk. Collect nature items along the way and use them to make a sculpture or collage.
- Plan a fashion show
- Write and illustrate a story.
- Make shadow puppets. Put on a play!
- Make a card for someone special.